Ok, so I feel like I can’t actually call this a “recipe”, BUT it is a super scrumptious way to prepare carrots, and quite possibly the easiest side dish you will ever make! Drizzle on some olive oil, throw them on the grill, and enjoy. They get this delicious carmelized flavor, as the natural sweetness of the carrots is brought out. They really don’t need anything but a sprinkle of salt, but you can add some fresh herbs if you want (thyme works especially well here).
Don’t you just love ‘rainbow carrots’? I’m partial to the purple ones myself. Of course you could use regular orange carrots for this dish, but the mixture of colors makes for such a pretty presentation.
Grilled Rainbow Carrots
- 2 pounds carrots, preferably in a mixture of colors, and under 1 inch in diameter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme (optional)
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- Wash carrots and remove green tops if still attached. There’s no need to peel them, just give them a good scrub if they’re dirty. Leaving them whole gives them a pretty, rustic look.
- Drizzle olive oil over the carrots and turn to coat.
- Reduce grill temperature to medium. Arrange carrots perpendicular to the bars of the grill rack so that they won’t fall through. Cook for approximately 7 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally. The smaller ones may need to be removed sooner than the larger ones if you’re carrots are not uniform in size.
- Remove to a platter. Sprinkle with chopped fresh thyme and salt if desired.